weeb the last few days w/pics

We’ve been fishing the Weber hard for the spring bite, no monsters but the river has produced some nice fish. .
Last week the river was nice flows and clear ! This week is a different story… sunday we fished the section I hate the most which is the coalville area( my usual haunts are chocolate as of sun…) managed a bunch nothing bigger than 22"

Saturday I delt with the mud and managed 15 -20 between myself and rctalbot.. nothing over 22"

Fished a little lower earlier in the week and caught well over 30 and picked up a 25" female she fought like Hell too(see pic 1)

And finally fished in town 1 afternoon and only caught 3 but they were all over 23" biggest was a hair below 26"( fish is held out in the pic great colors) see pic 2 … not to shabby for some spring action!

All fish were caught on LARGE cranks and plastics :sunglasses:

nice fish, you are always pullin nice bruiser browns out of there. im going to wait 1 or 2 more weeks to let it warm a bit so i can chase some of them. good on ya man.

tightlines

Correction … the fish in the first pic is 24".. fat fingered that one, damn phone :slight_smile:

Beauties! Nice work.

Makes me want to go up and donate some big junk to the river.

Nice j on the browns. Just think how much fatter they’re gonna get in the next month or so.

I get excited about a 15" fish. You pull in 25" and act like it’s nothing! I know there’s some big browns in there. You’re about the only one that’s been able to prove it. Lol Anytime you need someone to go fishing with hit me up! Show me how that shit is done!

rockin it man! Just got me some new ‘big junk’ - need to see about get snaggled up in some woodpiles!

So - if I called those ‘pigs’ or ‘hogs’ are you still allowed to take their picture???

It seems like in an early(last year or so) thread pict you had a fly rod. Just curious if you ever use larger streamer patterns and if so what has worked the best for you?

I can’t seem to break the 25" mark with mine. Tubes, spinners, and cranks have produced too.

PM me if you want to keep them “hush hush”

Thanks,

LT

nope i dont flyfish but i have a buddy who chases big browns with me and he does throw streamers and nothing but streamers( when hes fishing with me anyway) he throws 3-5 inch streamers on the weeb and has hooked up several browns around 25-26" natural shades in clear water like browns, silvers, whites and blks work best, and that just doesnt apply to flies.. the plastics i throw and the cranks i throw are in these colors … they are a mean hungry opportunistic feeder and it amazes me the size meals these fish will eat!! in fact i was fishing in town here a few yrs back and i pulled a 7" sucker out of the throat of a 23" brown, the tail of this sucker was still hanging out of its mouth and it smacked my 5 inch bait.. these fish are oinkers and when the groceries are in they are eating as much as they can im sure..

to be honest dont let big baits intimidate you ... a 20 in brown will hit a 5+ inch bait. using big baits hasnt slowed down my fishing much until you get over the 5 inch mark... then your catch rates drastically drop and you average very few but large fish.

everyone always asks why/how i average 18-23" browns on that river .. its always the same answer- i fish for big browns?haha why would a large fish capable of eating a meal potentially 1/4-1/3 there own size want a teeny meal?? i would rather sit down for a steak dinner than munch on peanuts all day… lol just saying-
my 2 cents

Nice job Joe.

I have seen big suckers in the mouths of browns I catch, and you are right… even with a big sucker in their mouth - they will SLAM another big bait. Unbelievable. That is the reason I love browns.

You guys are so sexy right now.[;)] I seriously look forward to your posts and pictures. You are the stud when it comes to those Weber browns. Keep up the great work, I love it.

gotts to give my braddah joe mad props to his skill! two weekends ago we fished the weeb, perfect day with perfect conditions. Joe had a goal that to catch fish on whatever he wanted to throw, no joke he did it. I think he ended up using 10+ different baits from plastic crawdads to custom made maribou jigs to swimbaits.

I learned something that day, its not what lure your using as much as how your using and working your lure. Yes a good lure choice is helpful but knowing how to work it is another thing. It was awesome to watch him using random stuff and catching fish.

I stuck to my normal hardware and just observed as he throw stuff 99% people will not or dont throw!!!

joe is the man on the weeb, catches big fish and knows where they are.

believe that

Thanks. I’ve caught some of those “mad munchers” my self. Caught one 24" hen with a 9" white fish in her mouth and she still took a 4" tube jig.

LT

Utcatman…I have seen many of your posts here over the years. And all I can say is…WOW. I have been chucking big streamers for last few years and I have yet to break the 24" mark. You sure know how to fish :slight_smile:

Isn’t that a hint? Not trying to be blunt about it but it is much easier to target these big browns with spinning gear.

Flies have a time and place and yes you can catch huge browns on streamers but… I just think with spinning gear you have the upper hand… you can cover more water quicker with bigger baits.

By the way, I like your name "Salmo Trutta:

Are you saying that you cant cover as much water with a fly rod??? I will tell you this, the buddy I fish with who throws big streamers can not only place his cast quite accurately , but get can also keep that bait in the "zone " longer with the hang time of the fly… he has no problem keeping up and often times he will out fish me due to the presentation of that fly … remember like bryce said- its not what your using its how its presented that catches the fish …

^ what he said. ive fished willard with this dude with my fly rod and was able to keep up, hell that day i even out fished him (thats very very rare)

Hell ya bruddah! ! We should definitly do that again! I know for a fact that anything you can present with conventional tackle you can replicate that technique with a fly rod and do So with alot more finesse

^ what he said. ive fished willard with this dude with my fly rod and was able to keep up, hell that day i even out fished him (thats very very rare)

Keep up with a spin fisherman??? OH HECK, I must be doing something wrong[;)][;)]
Specially during that dry hatch :sunglasses: