Not Berry good 1-8-2012

I went to strawberry bay this morning and walked out on the ice at 8:00am.


I heard the road was slicker then a, Never mind. So I put on the chains and the Ford two wheel drive was ready.

I moved 3 times and drilled 6 holes for my two poles. I tried everything I had with either worms or Wax Worms or PB and nothing could get them to bite. I asked around and only found one tent that caught one fish. I left the ice at 10:30 and headed for Mud Lake and was told my a guy just coming into the parking lot there,they only got one Rainbow. So I left and headed down to deer Creek and pulled off the highway and threw out some PB on one pole and tossed out a Gold Jake which after 20 minutes hooked into this guy, a 17 inch Bow.

It was a slow day for every one I talked to today at the berry.
“One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.” -George W. Bush

blueboy22 Posts: 351Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 am

Ya we had a slow day at the Berry also. We fished the meadows from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and caught 3 between 2 of us. Moved to Syar Tunnel inlet and caught one more. We left at 3:00 p.m.

We watch them on the video - the fish were just not aggressive. They were totally focused on getting the meat off your jig & staying away from the hook. All fish coming through were singles, never did see any schools or multiple fish.

Not sure what our problem was - the storm front coming through, wrong place, poor fisherman or a combination of the three? Definitely one of our slower days on the Berry.

I think I am feeling lucky today then up there. My brother and I started just after 7am at Soldier Creek and caught about 15 small rainbows, which was slow compared to other days there… About 11 we made it over to Strawberry Marina and fished an hour and a half and I caught 1 rainbow and 1 Cutthroat. I had another guy come ask me what I was using cause they had been there since 8am with nothing also.
I caught both on a white tube tipped with a worm, but had hits on all 4 of our poles with different colors and waxies.

those bad days just make the good ones better!

Looks like strawberry didnt get a lot of snow from the last storm.. How much id they get ?

Seems like whenever they’re killing them, I run up right after a storm and get Skunked lately. Oh yea and during the full moon too, which I’m begaining to believe more and more is not the best day to fish.

I would say 1 to 1 and a half inch of snow. It was nice to have the little bit there was to walk on, and it helped to drive on it too.

Full moon = No good at the berry!

Fished renegade today, caught about a dozen or so. The fish were finicky, had to keep the bait moving to get bites. All were caught on chub meat.

Chub meat helped get a crawdad for me today. The first through the ice in fact. The berry can be a harsh mistress!

Me and my bro fished on 1-7 off haws point started at first light and left at 11 am. 32 ft of water and caught about 35 cutts and 2 rainbows.

Sounds like a good catch for the Berry. I’ve been trying to make my way up there, hopefully soon. How is the roads getting over on that side?

They werent too bad.. need 4wd, but there was 3" of fresh snow so that made it alot less slick.