Anyone read this article. Man, that’s too bad.
Leaky and the Sparkinator
Anyone read this article. Man, that’s too bad.
Leaky and the Sparkinator
yea, that really sucks. later chuck
I spoke with a co yesterday at pineview and he explained this to me. I would rather loose the tigers than get pike. They are much smaller than tigers.[frown]
A thousand casts huh? I can’t catch any smallies at the View from spendin too much time diggin hooks outta tigers. I ain’t complaining though, cuz if I’m casting 5000 times a day I oughtta catch 20 Northerns in an hour. Bring on the Pike…or somehow breed 'em with a Wiper, I don’t care either way.
You don’t want pike. I was raised with pike. I used to guide for pike.
You don’t want pike.
You want Tiger Muskies.
The state needs to institute a no kill emergency order for Pineview.
You don’t want pike. I was raised with pike. I used to guide for pike.
You don’t want pike.
You want Tiger Muskies.
The state needs to institute a no kill emergency order for Pineview.
Any chance you could elaborate more on your reasons?
For not wanting Pike or the No kill order?
Pike are not as good as Tiger M for 1 reason, POPULATION CONTROL.
That is why we have TigerM in the first place. To control the panfish populations. The key as to why they work so well is that WE control the population of the TigerM’s. Sure, talk all you want about “some” hybreds can spawn, but the chances of a female and a male, both being furtile and in the same place at the same time on a given body of water at the right time and conditions, is nil, less than nil.
Heck I can make arrangements to meet sombody at a particular launch at a particular time and 1/2 the time itdoesn’t work out.
Pike are not sterile, we will not be in control of the population, if it gets out of hand, we can not go backwards without Rotenone, which can not distinguish between pike and smallmouth, crappie or perch.
Pike are just to risky in a fishery that is doing so well. We need to just relax, TigerM will be available again. It may be a few year gap, but the wait is worth not taking the chance on a new species being introduced that is not sterile.
In my native state of NY, where pike are in almost every water, they are a nusiance. Countless “hamer handle” pike are caught all day long. 15" pike are a nusiance, like 5" bluegill.
As to the no kill order, I think you can figure out the answer to that. Hold on to what we have.
You couldn’t be more correct on the pike idea. They will propogate until they overwhelm their forage base and then stunt. It scares me just to think of some nitwit hauling those damned things from Yuba somewhere else.
I absolutely agree with everything said BUT, the officer i talked to said they would be a sterile strain of pike if they go that route. I don’t want sterile or non-sterile pike in there. I have seen enough of the 15" hammer-handle pics to know better. I have had quite a few people tell me pike get bigger than tigers, i call BS. Yeah, they catch 50" pike but how many tigers have come out of pineview over 50"? Quite a few. Also, a good pike on the fishing shows is 38" to 44". I say no pike.![]()
Utah was looking at building their own hatchery for tiger muskie. I even saw a public notice that they are looking for bids for part of the process of this.
That was 1 1/2 years ago or so. I wonder if that has gotten a kibosh, or if the author of that article just didn’t know about it.
I have to make a BIG support for Lunkerhunter2…
Did everyone read the initial article as it says the pike will be sterile due to a process that “they” undergo - so they will be controlled just like the Tiger Muskie have been.
I personally wish we had a body of water with enough forage to have a real population of Pike andor Muskie (non sterile).
How many people fly to Canada each year in search of a big pike or muskie…it is a $$$,$$$,$$$.$$ dollar industry.
I have fished a lot of places and caught a lot of fish…few fish (if any) freshwater fish rival the thrill and power of the “average” muskie or pike.
I just went to FL chasing Largemouth, caught smallies earlier this week, caught wipers today, grew up on trout and have fished Alaska more than 100 days. Unless it is a big King running on you I personally think no fish rivals the thrill, hunt and fight of an “average” muskie or pike.
The reason I use average is because yeah a 10lb largemouth on topwater is dang fun but it is not an “average” largemouth.
A 28" pike or 32" muskie on topwater - very likely and a lot of fun!!
P.S. - How any the DNR adds some shad to Flaming Gorge…could have a fun fishery on our hands with smallies that get over 14" and put the lake trout populations back up (big fish)?
I spoke with Drew Cushing earlier this year about the Tiger problem and he told me that the DNR was going to start their own Hatchery for Tiger Musky
I think it would be an excellent mix to have both pike and muskie if you could garauntee that the pike were truly sterile. The pike might make the fishing faster and give fish eaters something to take home, but the hunt for the huge muskies would still be a major bonus. If they stocked sterile pike for a few years until the muskie program is back on its feet, I’d have no objections.