OK - I know we have Pineview lake for Tigers. In doing some travel and research it is Musky that generate more income (for the state) per fish caught than any other fish (I did not see statistics on Sturgeon).
Musky are definitely a destination fish and also most pursued by the more avid fisherman due to the time it can take to catch one.
THE QUESTION IS:
What lake in Utah would support a healthy population of Tiger Musky(ie) other than Pineview? I really would like to see another lake become a strong fishery for these amazing freshwater fish.
I love catching largemouth but something about a 40"+ fish smashing your lure 3 feet from the boat and then heading straight down for a “death roll” on your line is truly an AMAZING fishing experience.
Also I would like to see a lake where the DWR really managed for some Pike to become large sportfish in good numbers.
We already have 2 pike waters Yuba and Redmond. YUba has been producing some huge pike right now.Redmond the pike are not as big and plentiful but it is a smaller pond.
This is something done effectively in parts of the North (both US and Canada) as lakes there sustain strong pike populations for 20+ years without a large fluctuation in numbers due to having proper forage and using fishing as needed to control pike - but most places are 40"+ to keep a fish.
I do know Yuba holds some strong fish (size) but seems nearly everyone I talk to spends 3 hours or so for a pike. In fishing most pike fisheries it is 2-3 an hour pretty consistently and they are a lot of fun to catch in my opinion. As we all know they are aggressive fish which the vicious hits and violent attacking of topwater are a BIG bonus when fishing for Pike.
I would love to put the request out there of anyone that is confident in Yuba lend me a day of their (1/2 day) to show me the techniques and areas of the lake. I will gladly give time back to you for the fishing you like…Muskie, Salmon, trolling for trout (as these are my main 3 strengths)…also could do some largemouth fishing with ya for some BIG production days (as I have had a few recently), do have a smallmouth “Honey hole” I would even be willing to share as well.
I have heard through the grape vine that joes valley is being seriously concidered. I think that would be an excellant idea with the abundance of chubs, fairly large body of water, rocky shores, but I don’t know???
I personally would rather catch muskie than about any fish so I do like the idea…the issue is always being able to have enough muskie in a lake to make it “worth” targeting them while keeping the other fish populations where they need to be. This is definitely doable as shown by many nothern fisheries.
Also I sometimes hear people complain about how lakes have “tons and tons” of small perch…but they want to catch bigger ones…as I think we will most agree the reason for the numerous small perch is they are literally eating themselves small (due to the fight for food). Few fish prey on perch in large numbers other than pike, muskie and walleye (personal I like eating walleye but one of my least favorite fish to catch…have caught a few over 30"). So people that want bigger perch can consider supporting pike or muskie introduction.
Many Utah anglers have come to know and love the tiger muskies. And, I think DWR is pleased with how well they both help with overpopulation of smaller species and increased angler hours on a lake.
But, as you probably know, there are no tiger muskies available for ANY place in Utah in the near future. So, finding new spots for them is a moot point. Only when DWR has an extablished warm water hatchery and/or a certified disease free source of fry will there be any more tigers.
I do know Yuba holds some strong fish (size) but seems nearly everyone I talk to spends 3 hours or so for a pike. In fishing most pike fisheries it is 2-3 an hour pretty consistently.
Where do you get your information???
Some Pike lakes you can go and catch pike just about every cast, others you can’t buy a bite. Other things play a very important part in the bite also. Time of year, weather, temperature, ect. are all factors in fishing for any species of fish. Nobody just goes out and says “In about 3 hours, I’ll catch a pike”. Some guy could go out and catch a pike his first cast, another guy could go out and not get a hit all day.
BTW: There aren’t any tigers to plant anywhere right now, so I woundn’t worry about that. Just go to Pineview and see if you can land yourself a lunker. Good Luck [;)]
That info comes from reading posts and talking to a few people on average that have fished Yuba. It is not an exact science but what I am hearing from others.
There are many factors that effect “the bite” for sure but on average from my experience on other lakes compared to Yuba it seems that it is quite a bit slower. Most “pike lakes” offer up a lot of “hammer handles” just about anytime there is open water…many locals get frustrated with how many they catch when they are not even targeting them…I am sure you know what I mean by this. Have a great day.
there are tigers in johnsons. dont know how many or how big but i do know they are there. i saw one in the freemont river about 40 feet from the spillway last weekend. i went to step in the river and nearly put my foot right on it. it had to be 36 inches at least. he just looked at me then swam up to the bubbles from the spillway. i grabbed my gear and tried to get him to bite but no luck. i tlked to the ranger at fish lake and he claims there are a lot of tigers in johnsons and they need to be caught cuz they were put there to control the chubs and then starve to death…
Nope but to bad the State does not let a few in to fish lake to take a bite out of the stunted yellow perch that were bucket bioed in there. To bad who ever put them in there did not realize that Lakers are not to fond of perch.
The CDOW put tiger muskies in Harvey Gap about ten years ago on a campaign to remove the hated pike. It flopped. The pike ate the tigers.The pike rebounded and the lake is a great fishery in size and numbers of panfish/pike/bass. Now they have been netting the pike out of Rifle Gap and what once was a world class fishery for perch (12-15 inches all day) turned into a lake full of stunted 6 inch perch.
What use to be a perfect balance of predator and prey and a destination fishery now is nothing but lackluster.All these gazillion perch now are the demise of the few spawning walleyes as well sucking up every egg and fry they can get their mouths on.Every time one of our few fisheries get to great status the DOW jumps in to “fix it”. Arghhhhhh.
I feel your pain on the other side of the border too.I don’t understand their thought process out here. Growing up in Minnesota, if anyone did any of these insane things the pitch forks would be coming out.
There are tiger musky in both Cottonwood and Bullock reservoirs in the Uinta Basin. Both waters have produced numerous legal tigers this year. The fishing has been HOT. These waters are 5 miles north of the town of Gusher. The largest musky from Cottonwood last year was 49 inches. So, there you go. Snap…