Anyone been to Piute lately??? I am considering it for the weekend.
I plan on hitting Piute on Friday. I’ll let you know.
i have not been there but did talk to some boy’s that had been down last week. said the fishing was good for bow’s. down in the area you like to fish
.. 3 & 4 lbs fish from what i was told. so i would say more than likely 2 to 3 lbs are more like it.. i know the guy’s that good.lol [angelic].
they said the ice was 8 inchs but sometimes soft around the edges. that’s all i got.
Fishing has been good with reports similar to Otter Creek (same depths and techniques). I fished it last week and did very well. When we were one of the few on the lake, the fishing was good. The crowds that showed up were annoying, however. It sounded like an army on the ice. (all near the boat ramp). We drilled a hole and a guy came within 5 feet of us and said, “This looks like a good place to fish” and set up right next to us. Yes, only 5 feet away! We obviously moved farther away. After that the fish scattered and left, but we moved around catching fish most of the day until about 3pm when it really slowed down. The ice was almost 12 inches thick for every hole we drilled. Some yahoo and his son drove their jeep cherokee out on the ice, doing donuts, etc. Looked fun but was not safe. They were driving too fast and too close to other fisherman while getting out on the ice. Driving on the ice should be banned within 200 yards of fisherman. I didn’t mind that as much, but that they broke up a lot of ice at the edge on the boat ramp (1 - 2 widths of the truck and 6 - 10 feet out). You should be careful walking there and walk around that area. Good luck.
Like others have mentioned, Piute has been very good fishing for nice sized fish.
Me and my 4 year old took four 17" rainbows home last week. I’ve heard reports of larger fish (21-22").
Personally, if I were to choose between Otter Creek and Piute, I’d go to Piute. I think you’ll find fewer people, more area to get away from the people that are there, and chances at possibly a bigger fish.
Ron,
Thanks for the info. I will likely be in my spot Saturday morning hoping to catch a 1/2 lb. fish or two.