I wanted to fish Piute this morning, but the edges are open water for about 10 feet from the bank. I couldn’t find anywhere to get on the ice. The conditions were even worse when I drove by again in the afternoon. Otter Creek wasn’t alot better. The edges are very thin, thin enough to go through easily. You have to search around to find a safe place. Once on the ice, it’s about 10 inches thick. The fishing was pretty slow. Between two of us we caught 13 fish between 9am and 3pm. Two went 20 inches and just over 3 pounds. The rest were 14 to 16 inches, all rainbows. There were a couple of people to either side of us catching fish about the same rate. We were all in 20ft of water. One guy was catching fish at 10ft. The rest of us were a foot or two off the bottom. Anything tipped with nite crawler did the trick. I had the best luck with glow pink jig heads.
Nice fish ![]()
Yeah, I have really wanted to get out on Piute but have had the same luck the past couple days. I am making preparation for Saturday though. One way or another, I will get out on the ice (and probably get stuck). I hope the fish are worth it.