Wife was out of town and I had a few errands to run in the morning, but made it up to fish from the bank about 10:30 am. It is a steep hike down to the waters edge. I fished the south side of the narrows. Water was a a rusty brown color, not very appealing. Started with 2 rods, one with jig below a bobber tipped with chub, the other with a flig tipped with chub. The jig was never touched, but the flig did ok casting and reeling it back in. I caught 4 smallmouth and a nice perch on the flig. Biggest smallmouth was about 12 inches. I tried casting for muskies for a bit with a big rod i brought along, but no love. I switched the ultralight rod to just a bait hook with a piece of crawler and a small split shot above. Just casting out about 10 ft from the bank. That worked really well. I caught 11 bullheads and 3 more perch on that setup. No size to them, but I took everything home. I had a fish break me off, probably a carp on the 4 lb test on the ultralight. I left about 1 pm. Had a nice little fish fry Sunday afternoon. They all tasted great, even the bullheads.
Sounds like fun, been wondering if a fall float tube chasing crappie would be a hit this year or not… Water down this far it might not be too rough on the baro trama so you could let the small ones go… I suspect they will be banked up similar to the usual fall patterns, but maybe the low water will change things… Later J
Way to go, glad to read someone, gave PV a try from shore, sounds like you did good considering the conditions. Were you using very small pieces of chub? Were there any other swhore Fisher folks out there?
Yes, small chub pieces and yes a lot of fishermen. I talked to a few and they were mostly targeting muskies and bass. The guy targeting bass had not caught any, and was very surprised when I showed him my flig that I had caught 3 on so far. Two others had hooked and lost a tiger musky.
Nice, good to hear there are some catching TM. I bet most have never heard of fligs but imo, it makes sense that bait floating just above a murky/ muddy bottom would work better.