Since koke season ended, I have been hitting DC quite regularly, with limited success. Yes, I can catch all the bows I want there, but have been targeting walleye. So I decided yesterday, even with the hideous fuel prices, to make the run to Starvation. There was lots of construction on highway 40, pilot truck one way traffic, so got there late, launched at 0800. I don’t know Starvation well, so went looking with the electronics to start. I am a troller rather than a caster so I started looking toward Saleratus and Knights, on the electronic map. Didn’t really see many fish there, but found some good looking marks along a north ridge on the way there. Kind of hard to troll there but holding one pole I was able to troll along that bank. The eyes were small, eater size, but cooperative. I caught 9, returning the 2 smallest. Also released a smallie. We (Goldy my dog and I - this was a solo trip) went in for a lunch/bathroom break about 1100. We went back out after lunch and went the other way. Found some water I could troll two rods south of the Freedom bridge. There were fish there but could only catch perch, some were pretty sizable. I did have 2 eyes to the boat, but they weren’t as aggressive as in the morning. We came in about 1500 and I had considered getting a motel in Duchesne and staying another day. But after checking out the pet friendly motels, changed my mind and decided to just come home. Should have taken a camp with me.
Nice report John, glad you got some, were any of the eyes over 13"? Any perch over 10"? Too bad you couldn’t find any pet friendly motels, that you liked, especially after the long drive. Were there many other fisher folks out there? Why was there one way traffic, are they working on the road?
I didn’t actually measure, but they were all in the 13 to 14" range, skinny like DC eyes, not fat like Willard eyes. The perch were nice 10 to 12" so pretty good for perch. There were 2 pet friendly motels, one pretty sketchy and the Best Western that wanted $179 for the night. Helped me make the decision. I think there were 4 or 5 trailers in the parking lot, though I was never very close to another boat while on the water. They were repaving Highway 40 near the Pinnacles turn off.
Compared to downtown, the cabins at Starvie are a bargain. You do have to bring “camp” stuff and have a reservation. But it’s quiet and secure.
I agree, the cabins are a really great deal and very nice. Verdean and his wife stayed there in 2025 and invited me out for the day to fish. Only one problem for me, they do not accept pets.
Can you still launch a boat at DC? Is a dock available? I got grandkids that want to catch fish of any kind on about Oct. 16. They are in Pleasant Grove.
The main ramp is fine at DC. There was a wedge dock on the ramp and courtesy docks to the side. I haven’t launched at the Island ramp. That information was from late September. You might want to call we are in October now.