Conflicting Strawberry Ice Reports?

I’m reading lots of conflicting ice reports for Strawberry. I’ve read how it’s safe for machines and they are going everywhere and I’ve read that there is open water towards renegade.

I’d like to go up on Friday morning with a snowmobile and head toward renegade past haws point. Has anyone been there recently that can tell me if it would be safe. Usually you don’t even have to ask this late in the season.

Thanks

Sometimes there is a little open water by the island as you go into Renegade, at the mouth of indian creek, and by that pressure ridge that likes to form off of haws point, but I doubt you’d find open water anywhere else on your way back.

I was up there yesterday you can take a sled anywhere there is a small patch of open water on the point after haws, you have to go on shore at haws to avoid the pressure crack then head for the middle, we had no problems other than we couldnt hook the fish, it died down around 10:30 but it was fast till then.

The ice is in good condition as of last sunday. There is the pressure crack at Haws, but I didn’t see any open water. There was ~10" in the narrows section. We had two sleds and had no problem. The top 7 inches is crappy ice, but the bottom four or five is nice strong black to clear ice. We were catching them in 15-25 feet using rat finks and mealworms. We had over 30 on and iced 15 in about 5 hours (8:30-1:30). Good luck!!:slight_smile: