Nice report. Wish I had more experience I’d be able to attempt a mimic trip of this sort. Dam getting fish on a fly in a river sounds sweet! Way better than a lake!
We happened to be on the lower, and the water was. As close to perfect as it could have been…I was actually hoping it would have been a little more off colored, but we can’t always have it like we want it.
I fished there about two weeks ago and caught a ton of whities and two of the biggest suckers I have ever seen. They were in some deep holes. Thought I caught the biggest brown of my life. Didn’t realize they had huge suckers in the Webe.
And I’ve never caught a sucker…nor do I want to…and to be honest, it’d been a long time since I’d caught a whitey.
The flies we throw are usually too big for a whitey, and we’ve learned(over the years) which holes hold trout, and which don’t…and it takes relatively few casts to determine if a willing trout is in a hole. But when we find a hole that has trout, we’ll work it for hours, and when we stop getting bit, we change flies, not holes.
Don’t get me wrong…We don’t ALWAY catch a ton of trout, or always get 25"'ers, but it’d be easier to tell you the times we DIDN’T have a 20+"er come to the net.
And we fish randomly along the mid/lower webe. There isn’t any one place that doesn’t hold them 20+ inchers.
Keep at it! You’ll find the right bug- I was gonna say you’ll find the fish, but you’ve walked right by them!
Here’s one of mine. I Love the hook jaws
And everytime I think we’re catching big pigs, some joker posts pics of 13lb’ers!lol.
Wow, that is awesome. I need some tips because for some reason all I catch are whities lately. Guess I better quit using sow bugs. Here is a pic of a sucker I caught. It was fun on a fly rod. I pretty much just fish the Weber now. Usually lower Webe but sometimes between Rockport and Echo as well. It is my favorite river now.
Wouldn’t QUIT using the sow bug, if you don’t mind catching whities, suckers, and such- I’d. Size up. If you’re using a size 16-18, I’d go 12-14. I know tough to find in a fly shop, hence ONE reason I tie.
I guess I wouldn’t mind catching them suckers if their looks didn’t didn’t remind me of an ex, and I didn’t have to take them ugly-mouthed critters off a line. (I have caught them before, just not on the Webe).