Utah Float Tubing Report

:sunglasses:I went out to my storage shed and got my sonar off my tube and rigged it up for ice fishing.


**I could swear I heard my tube whimpering…maybe from the cold and maybe from loneliness. Poor thing. **


Sorry. That’s the best I can do until the daytime temperatures warm up enough to melt that infernal Antarctic ice cap. Came in early and has been building with a vengeance.


Global warming? Yeah, right. Not in Utah.

I hear ya Pat. I need to do the same (go to the shed and get sonar rigged for ice).

It’s been a busy month. I haven’t even looked at the water since our Pinview adventure back before Thanksgiving.

Good luck when you make it out. Prolly gonna be a couple more weeks for me.

Happy New Year everyone!

I went out today and scouted some places to float the snake river hopefully for cats. There was so much private land that it will make the trips a long one at best. The first take out is only 1/2 mile or so and is not a great take out. The next one is 5 miles and it is a tough take out. The next one is at 7 miles and that is a good take out spot. If the river is running about what it was last spring I think the 7 mile trip would just be a good day floating and fishing. The next take out from there would be at 10 miles. That one would be a tough take out. The bank is very steep and it would be a bugger to get up. If a guy missed that take out there is no public access until the next take out spot, at mile 19.67
I am not sure these trips would even be worth much as far as fishing goes. This stretch is very shallow I think. I was told by biologists that they don’t do much work there because it is too shallow for their boats. I know that cats like to come into the shallows and this stretch has higher DO rates than the lower impoundment does.
I have been doing a lot of studying on this stretch and I wish the 5 mile take out spot was better. The 7 mile trip could be a slow one without much flow, or it could be a half day trip if the river is big like last year. Oh well I can keep thinking ice started at mile 5 and was solid at mile 23. If I don’t catch any cats in this stretch of milner I am going to call it quits for milner and drive west. Ron

Way to go Pat. Ice fishing is better then no fishing :slight_smile:
Please post some pictures of your ice fishing expedition.
Of course you have to mention the float tube just
to keep it “legal” here[;)]

Happy new year.

Peter

Way to go Pat. Ice fishing is better then no fishing :slight_smile:
Please post some pictures of your ice fishing expedition.
Of course you have to mention the float tube just
to keep it “legal” here[;)]

Happy new year.

Peter

:sunglasses:Happy New Years to you too…and everybody else.


**Of course I would not make a post on this board without being “legal”. Since I usually fish right up until iceup and I am usually one of the first on the water as the ice is breaking up in the spring, I am a “crossover” tuber/ice fisherman. **


Just in case you missed my first tubing report from last February, here is a link:
ICE TUBING

Wow TD. I love your ice tubing report and super love
those pictures :slight_smile:.
14F is a little too cold for me, but for a man of your
caliber…no problem :slight_smile:
Thank you for the link to your report.

Peter

Global warming? Yeah, right. Not in Utah.

NOT HERE IN NEBRASKA EITHER!!! [crazy]

Well ice is starting to come off the lower elevation lakes, won’t be long now!:slight_smile:

:sunglasses:Yeah, right. Here are some “float tubing” pictures from last Friday on Utah Lake. Sure, they are catfish, but they came from under a foot of ice on a day when the high temperature was only 30 degrees.

Hey a guy can dream can’t he?