To The South!

My family and I thought it would be nice to take a long drive and fish some open water in the pleasant weather of southern Utah yesterday (3-5) and we also brought my good friend, Holdsworth.

Since I found out that he’s moving out of state soon, I’ve been trying to get him into some nice fish before he goes. The ice season was much slower for us than usual, so it was a welcome chance to go down and actually cast for big angry rainbows.

We arrived at Otter Creek Reservoir quite late and the fishing was pretty slow overall. The fish we caught were pretty nice though. My first fish came on a minnow, but that’s the only bait hit I got all day. The others came on a Blue Fox.

Holdsworth had the lucky hand today with quite a few fish and 2 over 20"! All on the Blue Fox. I got both on video and posted them on YouTube (utahwaterlog) if you want to search for them. I’d post them here but don’t think it’s possible.[crazy]

We measured it out at 23"! Nice. He really needed that.

That’s a happy guy.

A little while later, he had another big one on (20in) and I also recorded that:

Icing on the cake for him. He also got a few smaller ones.

Sadly, my wife wasn’t able to pull anything in. Maybe next time.

The weather was pretty nice and the wind wasn’t too much of a factor, where we fished. Granted, you can almost always count on a good breeze at OC, but we situated ourselves on the leeward side of a point to cancel that out, mostly.

There was a good haze of clouds taking the bite off the sunshine and one neat looking cloud that loomed over the lake all day.

It was a great time for us, and especially for Holdsworth, who caught his largest rainbows and his largest on a lure. Way cool. Totally worth the drive, as it usually is.

Happy Fishing, Humans.

Well done! Thanks for the great report. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Nice pics. Makes me want to head down to St George area with my toon for a little soft water action.

Nice report I’m jealous. I love that area. Are the surrounding lakes open as well? Piute? Koosharem?

There was about 10sq ft of open water at Koosharem near the dam.[:p]

People were ice fishing it when we drove by. I didn’t check on Piute, but would imagine that it’s got plenty of open water.

The only “ice” at Otter was a floating layer of slush that was almost completely melted when we left.

That must have been nice to finally fish some open water. That’s a nice bow.

Nice to see open water fishing! man that was a beat of a fish. I hope Otter fishes better this year than last year. Hope to catch up with your this summer on one of your trips down south (maybe on those mountains by Otter)

Troutgass