Smoked trout

Looks like Utah Wildlife News is reprinting this recipe. Any suggestions for improvements?

Merl

Published: Nov. 1, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.

A versatile preparation for fish that tastes great any time of year

By Darby Doyle
Technical Writer
DWR Conservation Outreach Section

Welcome to the site Merl. There are many ways to smoke trout or kokes but IMO, the brine is one of the things that starts it all off and there are many different brines. After many years of trying different brines, this is the one I settled on. I got this recipe from Dubob, it is a low salt brine.

This is a full batch, enough to do 12 kokes or trout, depending on the number of the fish being smoked.

4 qts water, 5oz of orange juice or lemon juice, 10 oz of teriyaki sauce, 1/3 cup of uniodine salt, 2 cups of brown sugar, 2 tbsp of garlic power. I mix this up and put a quarter of this in a one gallon plastic bag with four fish. I’ve adapted this from the original recipe but it works for me. If the fish are smaller I’ll put five fish in each bag. I put the fish in the brine in the fridge overnight, then take them out in the morning and put them on the smoker racks an pat them dry, then let them set for an hour before putting them in my smoker. I use two pans of chips and smoke them for 5 to 6 hours, depending on the size of the fish.

Thx “Wiper” and “Du”. I just knew there had to be a better way. I’ve tried some recipes and basically gave up.

I’ve been here lurking as usual. Third Username is the charm. Health issues been holding me back from doing what I like most. However, I’m breathing so it’s all good. Finally getting out, going to be heading up to Rockport for a very long trip in a couple weeks and I intend on bringing back something, anything, to smoke. I even made up a few “Pugly Perch Bugs” (I’ll appropriate from anybody) :rofl:

This has been a tough year for a lot of us, so I know what you mean. Hope your trip to RP goes well.

I’ll let y’all know

Sounds like a good brine . I don’t do a lot of smoking trout or kokes , my last time was with some kokes that I caught with a friend on the Gorge , googled up a brine that sounded good , had the teriyaki sauce in it ,they turned out great . Now I wished I had kept it , so this one I will keep you posted ,and I will try it next time . :+1:

Because I don’t chase the kokes as much, I bottle most of the ones I catch. That way I can spread out when I eat them throughout the year. On lakes that have high limits like Porcupine or Anderson Ranch up in Idaho, it’s really nice to be able to bottle them for future use.

After I smoke my kokes, I vacuum pack them, until I have enough to do a batch, then bottle them in a pressure cooker for almost two hours. Once done they are good for years, but they rarely last that long.

Whoa. I’m familiar with vacuum packing but bottling/canning? I never would have thought of that.

I eat as many as I can fresh but when limits are 12, like they are at Porcupine or 25 like Anderson Ranch, I have no choice but to bottle them. It’s really not hard, but it does require a pressure cooker. I filet the salmon, leaving the rib bones in and the skin on. After brine and the smoker, I remove the skin, then I pack them into pint jars, I can get 10 pints in my pressure cooker. When you buy a pressure cooker they come with instructions, mine says to cook them at 13 lbs of pressure for 1 hr & 50 min. Bone desolve while cooking. Once they are done I lable them and store them in my cabinet, until needed. I’ve been told by some they should be called Kokanee candy.

Ah ha. A pressure cooker. That’s what I need :slight_smile:

I need a vacuum sealer too

By pressure cooker. Do you mean a pressure canner? Or a water bath canner? I’m thinking pressure canner

This is not the exact one I have but it’s close:

pressure canner - Search

Pressure canner! Water bath canners DON’T work for any type of meat. I pressure can all kinds of meat; fish, waterfowl, venison, etc. With fish, I don’t leave the skin on. I haven’t canned any smoked fish as they don’t last that long. I smoke 'em with the skin on and vacuum seal them and store them in the freezer. They might last a couple of months at most. These are MY kokanee candy. :grinning_face:

That’s what I thought. I put this on my list. Thx much

Excellent :+1:

My grandmother pretty much bottled all the trout they caught ,she had many on her shelve ,along with the many other things see canned .

I do a dry brine. Mix one part salt to two or three parts sugar depending on how salty you want it, add some garlic powder and onion powder. Layer the fish in a container flesh side up coating generously as you stack it up. Then put in the fridge overnight to cure. Next day there will be some liquid in the container. Pour that off, give the fish a rinse and lay it out on sheet pans or cutting boards. Pat it dry with paper towels and then let it air dry for a while before smoking.

Interesting. I’m noting this one also. Thx much

I also do dry brine now. But I use ONLY sea salt and I only let it sit for a max of 2 hours before rinsing. Any longer than that and for me it is WAY too salty for my tastes. RInse after two hours and back in the refer for about 4 hours to give the pellicle a chance to develop. Then a generous layer of brown sugar applied and into the smoker. I use a probe and it is done when the internal temp reaches 145*F. YMMV! :grin: