Scofield 1/18/10 - Hot fishing! ...for small fish

Disclaimer: While the fishing was hot, most fish were on the small side - PLEASE TAKE HOME LIMITS OF RAINBOWS!

I hit the ice at Scofield again, working a particular portion of the dam arm that has been especially productive for me for many years. It lived up to it’s reputation as I got fish right away after dropping into the first hole.

I fished from noon to 6 pm, in 8 to 17 feet of water. Fishing was good the entire time, but best for me from 12 to 1pm, and at sundown. I used a variety of presentations, and tipped with salmon eggs, meal worms, or large pieces of commercially prepared chub minnow. The most productive combo was a small white glow tube jig tipped with a mealworm 6 inches under a silver kastmaster.

Would not be surprised if my total fish count was over 30. Most of the fish were skinny cutthroats 12-14 inches. Lots of smaller rainbows, and only 1 or 2 decent bows. A tiger trout and a cutthroat both about 17 inches were the biggest fish of the day, both caught as the sun was going down with a large glow tube jig and a chub minnow head. Both, of course, were released unharmed to eat more chubs.

Saw a couple large chubs previous anglers had caught tossed on the ice.

Didn’t get a pic of the tiger, but here’s the Cutt - Nothing spectacular

Nice report. Lots of fun to be had on Scofield if you like fairly fast action for smaller fish.

I guess my only question is why you encourage taking home a limit of small bows? Why not give them a year to grow up?