Powell is a beautiful lake, and this is a wonderful time of year to down there. Hopefully the weather will be good during your trip, and the fish gods kind to you.
Since you mentioned you’d be on a a “Small Boat”, and expressed interest in getting away from the crowds, I thought I’d share a little story, and some constructive advise that could save your lives should the weather take a turn on you.
Advice - Don’t hesitate to hang near other folks if the weather is uncertain or looks threatening in any way as the wind can pick up in an instant, and put you in a bad situation very fast.
A few years ago, we set off to Lake Powell with our twenty four foot deck boat as a family (just the four of us) figuring we could find a nice quiet spot, and chill out away from the crowds. Great thought in theory, but only great if the conditions were to stay perfect. When we launched the water was calm, with little or no waves, and not a cloud in the sky. The weather forecast was mostly sunny, with possible hit and miss afternoon thunder showers. After couple of hours tooling around and exploring canyons, the wind began blow, and I mean blow. We were in a semi tight canyon at this point with high walls on both sides, and no beach areas in sight. Not quite sure what we were in for, we continued moving further up the canyon looking for a potential spot to hide should things get worse, but nothing. At this point, the clouds started moving in above us casting shadows over our previously sun laden canyon. The waves in the canyon started swelling and bouncing back and forth between the walls like a washtub. The boat that has always seemed stable on Utah’s small to mid size lakes was beginning to scare the begeebers out of us. We started taking on water over the sides and bow on most every rock of the boat, and we all tightened up our life jacket straps fearing the worst. At that point, we made the decision to turn around and try to head back to the main canyon figuring that we’d be better off away from the canyon walls. After some 30 minutes of bouncing back and forth we somehow made it out, without hitting either wall, to 4+ foot waves in the main channel. Even more scared than before; we moved upwind looking for a beach or sheltered area. After what seemed like eternity, we ran across a large 40+ foot houseboat that had hunkered in on a sandy beach. It wasn’t as sheltered as we’d like, but at this point all we wanted was to tie up somewhere, and get off the damn boat. We ended up tying to the downwind side of that houseboat and stayed there for the rest of the day and night. The wind, and rain continued on, and on, and on, and on. The waves rocked the house boat all night with two or three foot of rise in each direction, and we sloshed back and forth along with it. The houseboat had three very large anchors that they buried about 4 feet deep with rocks piled on top, and all three had pulled out half way by morning. The next morning, the weather was still bad, but the waves had subsided some. We decided to leave, and headed to the Bullfrog Marina. The wind and waves were still bad, and many boats were getting slammed on the docks trying to trailer back up. You couldn’t even try to run up slowly to get on the trailer as the wind and waves were constantly blowing you off course. It was a full throttle and pray day to get on the trailer.
I’m fully convinced that if we hadn’t found that great group of folks willing to help us out, we would have been sunk or washed up 20 yards on the beach that morning.
This trip was a real eye opener. Since then, we’ve vowed never to go back without some other friends tagging along with their boats.
I’m not trying to discourage you in any way. Just share a true story with a fellow BFT member.
Be safe and have fun!!! 