My kids have talked me into going to powell this weekend. I need help I dont know what to use down there can any body help me. I would really like to try and catch come walleye or stripers since I have never caught either of those kind of fish. Any help would be grate.
The amount of time it would take to try to help you out (which I have no problem with) you could learn from a resident lake expert at www.wayneswords.com I think their is an archive of info from this year and past years. That is your best option in my opinion.
THANKS I know the basics I think. Ive just never fished there this time of year. I will check that out,thanks again.
Are you going to Page or Bullfrog???
If you go to Bullfrog you will have to camp…
I am heading down friday to Page …
So is there no place to stay at bullfrog. If that is the case I will head down to page. I hope i run into you down there that would be cool to meet with you. I know you can catch the fish down there.
They have the trailers for $140 per night is all…
At page the rooms are around $49 per night and gas is about the same as here…
Hope to see you down there…
From my limited experience, the Page area seems to liven up much earlier than bullfrog.
Each spring I’ve made a few trips to Powell, and if it’s before June, I’ve always had excellent fishing from Page and only so-so at Bullfrog.
That seems to change starting June. But that’s only my 2 cents.
Thanks I think I will head to page after all. Seems like it just better to go there for the fishing and the rooms.
Stripers are deep about 70’ to 100’ around marinas. Walleyes you will have to troll for them, upper part of lake best bet.
I would like to know what part of the Bullfrog area you have been fishing before June. We go every year, last part of April or 1st week in May and totally kill them. No matter the species we seem to do great!!! Here is a link to last years trip.
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=414679;search_string=Lake%20Powell%20May;#414679
Oh yeah, Bullfrog has a Lodge there too!!! Defiance House Lodge isnt it? Why cant they stay there? Screw the trailers!!!
TS
Seems to be closed, or booked solid. I checked after Cliff posted and only the trailers are available, except camping. Don’t know why.
TS: I’ve usually tried to target the stripers, and if I recall you usually hit the bass and panfish. So you’re hitting the structure and trees etc. I’m usually hitting points, channels etc. frequently chucking an anchovy.
Early in the year the stripers appear in lots of down-lake locations particularly near the dam and perhaps within 10 15 miles from there toward Antelope and the San Juan areas.
At Bullfrog I’ve hit the trees in the back of Halls, Moqui and then some of the other “traditional” areas down to the Escalante and Rincon, but I’ve only got a 60 hp and as you know, it takes a long time to get anywher. If that’s not the spot, it takes a while to move elsewhere and equipment changes might also be needed.
Back in the 70’s just out of Bullfrog toward Stanton I had one of my best fishing days ever with crappie and bass in late April so I’m not at all saying that north isn’t worth the trip, It’s just that I’ve found the southern part of the lake more consistent early.
As an aside, I’m usually alone or with the Mrs. who can fish for a few hours but then wants a break. nuff said?
But anytime and anywhere you can get to Powell you gotta do it! Powell is huge, and with a few skills, good equipment, and a bit of time, there are fish found in all parts of the lake.
I think the Defiance Lodge is winter-closed for a while (the web site will give the projected opening).
I’m headed out the door in about 10 minutes for Page. I couldn’t be more excited if I were headed to Mexico…Well maybe that is not quite true, but I am looking forward to a few days in the sunshine while I await ice off. If the fishing are not biting at and around wahweap because of cold water, I’ll take the boat and go fish the river below the dam for trout. Tight lines
I hear what you are saying Lettsfish. I agree, for Stripers it does warm up quite quicker down south for them. I did do very well for them North of Bullfrog not this last year but the year before. As we all know it all depends on the winter we get that year. Two years ago we didnt have a big winter and we killed the stripers (even though we didnt target them…that much, but we did sometimes). Last year we had an excellent winter and the Striper bite wasnt hot at all (even though we didnt target them). Usually even if you are not targeting them you will usually catch a few. We caught less than 10 last year, between 8 of us. This year we are having a pretty good winter, so yeah, I would head to Page if I were to target Stripers. On that note, Lake Powell is just a magical place and sometimes can be a mystery to fish, that is why it is so fun to go there!!! Cant wait for my trip, first week in May. Hopefully I get to go, suppose to deploy to Afgahnistan around the same time!!!
TS
Afgahnistan!!? Hey Powell is a more fun way to get sun!
You are right on with Powell being magical. When the stripers aren’t biting you can find a point or debris pile and just nail the smallies or find a cove and come upon a school of bluegills or crappie and have a ball.
For me it’s almost like too many choices. Ultra light gear for panfish, lead line for trolling, flip for LMB in the sagebrush. What’s a fisherman to do?
I think when I retire I’ll try to take a few weeks off in the spring go to Powell and just eat, fish, have a beer, fish, eat, and keep that up for a while and see what happens.