Thought I might try the web. since flows are a lot less. Yeah right. [frown] Not below Echo!!! First I had to get by the “zoo” of rafters. Every reasonable size turn off was full of vehicle, and they weren’t fishermen. Ended up with “the Sparkinator” just below Echo but above the floaters of various configurations.
Well, got out of the truck with Sparky and said, what a waste of time for fishun. With the idea of giving Sparky some romping. water exercise, and reconditioning, I thought “what the hey” let’s make the most of it, we can still have fun. Water was at 586 cfs and totally chocolate.
Well now, was I off my rocker, or just not that knowledgeable? Results speak for themselves. Put on several small split shots then 2 droppers with a hairs ear and prince on the upper, both a #10. Sooooooo, to the punch line. I caught an even dozen 13-15 in. rainbows, mostly on the prince, and had a ball in just 2 hrs. before heading home ((12:30-2:30pm). Sparky had a ball chasing released trout. ![]()
No he didn’t catch any (but one) that was kept with a couple of others for dinner. If I had spent some more time, I’m sure i would have figured out how to catch some big guys. [sly]
No pics., nothing to brag about, just fun and good fishun,
Great stuff Leaky,
That’s what keeps you going back for more.
Cheers
Glade to hear you and the Spark got out, how old is the Spark?? My Coco is 15 this past spring..
Sparky is 8 and acts like 2.
I was kind of worried that I might have overdid his recovery exercise so I quit a lot earlier than usual. Dang!!! He’s done nothing less than bring me the ball to throw for than last 3 hrs. after getting home.
Aren’t they the greatest bud’s?
Mine just loves to swim..
I call my pitbull of 2 years old the “professional fish spooker”. How in the world do you keep Sparky from spooking all your fish?
And yes my 2 year old pup loves the ball. She can shake that thing for hours upon hours. Hopefully she looses that drive when she is 8!
Gald to hear Sparky recoverd. Sometimes they are more than buds, I like to think of mine as my child.
Nice report Leaky. I’ve wondered how your pup manages when you’re off floating. Does he just swim along the whole time?
Something magical about a tennis ball and water. My 1yr old (red healer/black lab) insists on taking the ball over to the pond ever third throw so she can plunk it in and get it ALL wet before bringing it back. Muttonhead!
Got a life vest the the new dog, and hope to get he out on the boat. Just worry for her around the hooks and such. She’s already got into packs of jigs! She’ll eat anything I swear!!! It’s a challenge to clean fish with her around - she’s a clepto for anything off a counter!
Just keep the Gorilla glue on the TOP shelf at all costs!!!
I’d say he swims around me and in the general vicinity about 70% of the time and wonders/sits on shore the rest of the time. He lives for the chance of chasing fish after I release em and when in the tube he dives for em. Needless to say he ain’t successful at it so I do give him the smallest dink of the day to carry to shore and eat, if I catch one. Usually do.
It took a while to train him to stay away from my fish during a hook up both on the pond and moving water. He’s pretty good now that I got him trained.
On the pond, he probably spooks em a lot less than my tube and on the river, he pretty much stays by my side until I’m done fishing and I release him to chase sticks. It doesn’t seem to affect my catching rate and I love his company. Before anyone gets upset, we chase sticks in areas that there are no fishermen around.![]()
I have hooked fish right under my dog when she is swimming, most of the time she swims around the boat and will watch my rod.. And she seems to know when I get a bite before I do..
She will lick a fish but not bite it, and will some times put her head under the water to watch the fish when I release the fish..
I took that route up to the Uintas yesterday, and I have to say I’ve never seen anything like that as far as the sheer number of tubers. It was crazy.
Congrats on the trout. I’m impressed that you caught so many, it really did look like a frothy torrent of Ovaltine. It’s funny that we both took some time away from bass and chased some stream trout. It’s good to mix it up a bit ![]()